ONE DAY Can Change Everything
What's it all about?Since 1998, LUMC Youth have been working to alleviate hunger. It’s a mission we take seriously and every year we dedicate one weekend to fasting from food so we can experience first-hand what daily life is like for so many in our world. Through our fast we raise funds to combat hunger, and so far we’ve raised over $200,000 to meet the most basic needs of those living in poverty.
Our 2020 event will take place February 28th-29th. It's an AWESOME experience that we’ve come to love - a body and mind-stretching 24-hour fast from food, with worship and times to connect with God, games and activities that raise our awareness of the challenges faced by those living in poverty around the world, and service to those in our community and beyond.
This year, the funds we raise through individual sponsorships continue the fight against hunger by supporting two organizations that are in front-line ministry with orphans and the poor. They are the Empowering Haitians Food Program in Haiti, and The Ark in Ukraine.
Getting StartedEach participant will need to:
- Register on the church website. (Registration opens January 19th & closes February 14th.)
- Complete: (Turn these in or bring them with you on Feb. 28th - REQUIRED)
- Pick up your Pledge Packet - available within 24 hours after registering from the table in the Welcome Center.
- Set a personal fundraising goal (we suggest at least $250 per person) and get as many sponsors as possible!
All Contributions are Tax-Deductible!
- Pick up your pledge packet from the table in the Welcome Center. (Available 24 hours after registering.)
- Set a personal goal. (We hope everyone will try for at least $250!)
- One hundred percent of everything we raise will be divided evenly between Empowering Haitians (Haiti), and The Ark (Ukraine), to help with food, healthcare, education and winter heating costs (Ukraine). Thank you, in advance, for all your efforts to see that God's children are fed and through this they learn of God's love and provision.
- Checks should be payable to LUMC, with “One Day” and the participant’s name in the memo line.
- Group Checks - Some sponsors prefer to write one check for all the individuals they sponsor and they turn that check in to Marlene Passarelli. If your sponsor tells you that they've done this, please indicate "Group Check" on your pledge sheet.
- Cash Donations - If a sponsor prefers to pay by cash and would like a receipt, please make copies from the page found in your pledge packet.
- Online Giving is available through the church website (great for out-of-town sponsors). If any of your sponsors have made an online donation for you, please indicate that on your pledge sheet so you will receive credit for those donations. Check out TIPS FOR ONLINE GIVING.
- Some additional fundraising tools are provided HERE: Sample Letter / Sample Social Media Post
- If you have collected all of your pledges by Friday evening (2/28), please turn in your pledge packet when you check in to the event. If you have not collected all your pledges, please come prepared to report your total amount raised so we can see how close we are to our goal.
- All pledge packets must be turned in by Sunday, March 8th so we can send our funds to the organizations and get them working as soon as possible.
- Registration opens on the Youth Website Jan. 19th (through Feb. 14th).
- Community Service Hours - Total of 8 (4 for Friday night and 4 for Saturday) plus 1/4 hour for every individual pledge collected. (Ex: 12 pledges = 3 hours)
- Friends outside the church are welcome to join us as long as their parents can help during the weekend in some way, if needed. (It takes a number of adults to provide transportation for Saturday activities (if needed) and to chaperone overnight Friday.)